As a physician, I believe the Liver is the most important, and most used organ in our body. Everything we eat, breathe, and makes contact with our skin is absorbed in our body and processed by the Liver. Food is medicine for our body, and it is all processed, broken down, and reconfigured in the Liver. Every simple chemical component in our body, from a brain hormone, to an enzyme, is all manufactured from precursors in the liver.
This is why I highly suggest doing a Liver detox cleanse on a daily basis. Even when we switch over to a beneficial organic diet, it is the diet we’ve had in the previous years which the Liver still holds toxins from. The Liver is a filter, processing plant, and fat storage organ. Even if we’re eating a beneficial organic diet, we are never sure of what type of adverse chemicals have been exposed to our food. We breathe air every day that contains pollutants, which congest the liver. We wear clothing, either natural cotton or some type of synthetic, which is constantly leeching adverse chemicals into our body. Every chemical that we’ve ever been exposed to, ultimately gets processed through the liver.
A Liver detox cleanse can be done in many ways, the methods below are what my clinical experience has taught me are the best, and simple for anyone to do.
Signs of An Unhealthy Liver
- Sluggish digestion
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea after eating a regular meal
- Bloating, and excessive gas
- Lethargic behavior and fatigue
- Sluggish and heavy feeling throughout the body
- Liver spots (red spots bigger than a freckle, typically on upper hand and arms)
- Yellowish coloration of the skin, and Sclera of the eyes
- Itchy Skin
- Swelling of the lower legs and ankles
- Easily bruise
- Dark Urine
Herbal Liver Detox Cleanse
A herbal approach can be taken by supplements, and / or a tonic with the following ingredients. I recommend the tonic for readers’ who have difficulty swallowing supplements.
It is important that any type of supplement or tonic include the following ingredients, which include:
- Milk Thistle, at least 1,200mg per day
- Grape Seed extract, 400mg per day
- Dandelion extract, 400mg per day
- Turmeric Root extract, 400mg per day
- Beet Root extract, 360mg per day
- Artichoke Leaf extract, 360mg per day
- Raspberry Leaf extract, 360mg per day
Supplements and Vitamins for Detox
- Vitamin C, 1,000mg – 2,000mg, after food 3x per day
- Vitamin A, 1,200 IU after food 2x per day
- Vitamin D, 200 IU after food 2x per day
- Vitamin E, 400 IU after food 2x per day
- Biotin, 750mgc after food 2x per day
- Zinc, 15mg after food 2x per day
- Molybdenum, 200mcg after food 2x per day
- Quercentin, 50mg after food 2x per day
Enzyme Liver Detox
- Stabilized Glutathione
- N-Acetyl Cysteine
- L-Carnitine (Amino Acid)
Daily Liver Detox Diet
- First thing in the morning, combine Lemon and cayenne pepper in a glass of pure water
- Glass of water
- 1/4 to 1/2 Squeezed Lemon
- 1/16 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper (done to taste)
- Fresh organic fruits, and vegetables
- For fruits choose Apples, Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit, and Avocado.
- Choose bright green leafy vegetables, as they contain the highest amounts of enzymes for the liver. Also include Garlic, Beets, Carrots, Cauliflower, and Broccoli in your diet.
- Lean organic protein – such as beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish (avoid Tilapia, farm raised fish, and fish high in mercury such as Tuna).
Recommended Daily Liver Support Healthy Foods
- I recommend 1-2 avocados per day, I call this my “super food”! Avocados assist the Liver in producing Glutathione.
- Walnuts help to detoxify the Liver of ammonia, and other harmful chemicals. They are high in Glutathione, Omega-3 fatty acids, and Arginine.
- Green Cabbage is best, and triggers the Liver to release two helpful enzymes used in Liver detoxification. Kimchi, and Sauerkraut are fermented cabbage that works great.
- A wonderful spice which works as an anti inflammatory, and detoxifier for the Liver. I recommend adding 1 level teaspoon to your morning smoothie, or to your vegetable stew. Turmeric aids in pulling out carcinogens from the Liver.
- Fresh organic garlic is recommended. Garlic contains high levels of Allicin and Selenium, which is beneficial for Liver cleansing. I recommend using 2-4 cloves of garlic when cooking, or you can also consume raw.
- Grapefruit is a wonderful citric fruit, which is very high in a multitude of anti-oxidants, and Vitamin C. I recommend a fresh squeezed grapefruit every morning.
- Beets & Carrots
- These 2 bright vegetables are very high in plant based flavonoids, and beta-carotene. I recommend eating these two vegetables raw, or adding to your morning juicing.
- Green Tea
- Green tea is very high in plant anti-oxidants called Catechins, which stimulate the Liver to produce detoxifying enzymes.
- Bright Green Leafy Vegetables (Lettuce, Spinach, Kale, etc)
- I recommend a large green salad, at least twice per day. These vegetables are very high in natural source chlorophylls, enzymes, and natural anti-oxidants. They also assist in balancing out the PH, and helping our body to become more alkaline.
- Green Apples
- Green Apples are the highest in natural source pectin, which assists the Liver in cleansing toxins.
- Olive Oil
- I recommend organic, cold pressed, 100% pure virgin olive oil. PLEASE do research on the different olive oil brands, as some are not 100% olive oil, even if the label says it is. The top brand I recommend is California Olive Ranch. They produce high quality, pure organic olive oil.
- Hemp Seed & Flax Seed
- I recommend putting 1 heaping tablespoon of each type of seed in your smoothie. These 2 seeds contain enzymes to assist the Liver cleanse, and contain beneficial lipids.
- Broccoli & Cauliflower
- These two vegetables trigger the Liver to produce the precursor Glucosinolate, which stimulates natural Glutathione production. They also contain a wide variety of enzymes which help flush out carcinogens from the Liver.
- Lemons & Limes
- These two citrus fruits are very high in enzymes, and Vitamin C to help flush out carcinogens from the Liver. This is why I recommend squeezing a whole lime, or half a lemon, in your water first thing in the morning, 30 minutes before food.
Daily Liver Detox Tea
It’s important for a Liver detox tea to contain the following ingredients:
- Burdock Root
- Fennel Seed
- Licorice Root
- Ginger Root
- Barberry Root
- Dandelion Root
- Ginger Root
Liver Detox Juicing
Liver Detox Juicing can be done from home, quickly, and with easy cleanup. I highly recommend a Liver detox juicing at least 2-3x per week. In my reviews below, I recommend non-BPA / non-plastic type of juicers. When juicing beet and lemon, it has a tendency to pull out the toxic chemicals in all plastic type of juicers. Staying healthy is important. For easy juicing, I recommend having the ingredients below prepared in advance, and put into glass bowls in the refrigerator. This makes for a quick process first thing in the morning. After having your morning water, have the Liver detox juice on an empty stomach, approximately 30 minutes before breakfast.
Recipe for Liver Detox Juice:
- One organic beet, washed and peeled (cut into small 1/4″ pieces)
- Three organic carrots, washed and peeled (cut into small 1/4″ pieces)
- Six ounces organic kale leaves (six ounces = approximately one standard bunch from grocery store)
- Six ounces organic baby spinach (six ounces = approximately one standard bunch from grocery store)
- One organic apple, washed and peeled (cut into small pieces)
- Six ounces organic wheatgrass
- 1/2″ organic ginger root, washed and peeled (cut into small pieces)
- Six ounces organic dandelion root
- One teaspoon turmeric powder
Coffee Enemas can be administered at home safely, and effectively. Caffeine is a natural detox stimulant for the Liver. It assists the descending Hapadic Portal Duct in opening, and allowing the Liver to naturally expel toxins in the Ileocecal area of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Make organic coffee in the evening, and let set at room temperature to be used the following morning.
- Hot water bottle, or 65cc syringe with 12″ catheter.
- 18-24″ of plastic medical tubing (ask your Naturopathic Physician to provide you with this).
- Use 1-2 cups of room temperature coffee as desired in dispensing hot water bottle. If using syringe, it refills very easily using the catheter.
- In the bathroom, on a towel, lay face up within close proximity to the toilet.
- Administer coffee while slowly massaging the lower GI area in the lower abdomen.
- Once the 1-2 cups have been installed, remove the tubing / catheter, roll to your left side, and continue gently massaging for approximately 2 minutes.
- Roll to your right side, to allow the coffee enema to migrate into the transverse colon Ileocecal area (lower right abdominal area). Hold this position, and gently massage for approximately 5 minutes.
- When you can sense a small amount of movement, or gurgling in the Ileocecal area, you may arise and void in the toilet. If at anytime during this procedure you feel the urge to void, please allow this, and then continue with the coffee enema.
- For the first time users, repeating this procedure in the beginning may cause slight non-threatening symptoms. These include: gas, slight nausea, and gurgling sounds. Please consult your Naturopathic Physician as needed.
- It is suggested to do this once a week for proper Liver detox. Once you get used to it, and you realize how beneficial this is, you may choose to do it more frequently.
Footnote: I have a patient aged 94 years old, who has been doing coffee enemas every morning for 50+ years. Outside of good genetics, this gentleman does not look, act, or move like he is 94 years old.
Emotional Liver Detox
Every organ group in the body also has attached to it, a set of emotions, and sub-emotions. When these emotions become blocked in the Liver, it makes the Liver more sluggish, and unhealthy. To speed up the healing process of the Liver, I recommend addressing the emotional components. Either through personal awareness, or seeking professional assistance, it’s also important to release blocked negative emotions from the liver. These include:
- Unresolved Anger
There are a variety of ways to release the above emotions that can be blocked in the liver, these include:
- Mind-Body Medicine
- Emotional releasing technique
- Neuro-Emotional technique
- Spiritual Response Therapy
These are only some ways to achieve emotional releasing. I do one-on-one emotional releasing with a variety of techniques. If you would like to find out more information, or schedule a consultation, please see my About Me section for more information.
I recommend the above dosages to begin with for the average person, with average weight. There are no major detrimental side effects doing a proper balanced Liver detox cleanse. Mild cleansing symptoms may be experienced by some people, which include slight light headiness, mild nausea, increased bowel movements, and mild halitosis (bad breath).
I recommend the above suggestions as a starting point. The supplement, tonic, or tea, can be taken 1-3 times per day, depending on the readers’ preference or physician recommendation.
Liver detox made easy! If you have any questions or comments, please leave a note below and I will get back to you promptly!